Back to the roots

I'm feeling a little sentimental, folks. This is where my human and I first met! Not far from where we are now, visiting some family, she came to check me out in August 2019 and fell deeply in love with me. Let's say, on second sight. First, she thought I am too short. Well, it's true, I am short, but tall. And this was one of her most important criteria, she wanted to be able to stand up in her new companion. This I could deliver. 

So after getting me looked over by a mechanic, she bought me from the current owner. He was nice enough, but he clearly didn't see my potential. She had a vision for me! And I was very happy to go along with it. For the next 7 months she and her brother spent pretty much every spare minute preparing me for our great trip. First they gutted me (not so nice), then they re-fitted me (very nice) with all a decent van needs and then some. 

By March 2020 I was in great shape and ready to go. The date was set for the 4th of April 2020, 4/4/2020, seemed to be a good date. And then, I mentioned it before, there came a global pandemic. Couldn't do anything to me, of course, but going on my own wasn't really an option. So we stayed home, worked on some improvements and just waited for this to be over. Sure, it couldn't take very long. This is commonly known as wishful thinking.

Fast-forward to reality. The last three days we stayed with family of my human in the Eifel. A very pretty, hilly, green part of Germany, close to the boarders of Belgium and the Netherlands. 

Driving from Heidelberg to see the family; this is how I like my autobahn!


They went for some walks, visiting more family members, watched soccer and kept an eye on the kestrel family, that is nesting in a window just one house over. The young were sitting on the edge for days already, wanting to fly, but not quite daring. Until the bigger ones literally kicked out the smallest. Well, that's how you learn to fly. It landed right in the backyard, and so we could get a good look at it, with respectful distance, of course.


Before we came here, we visited Heidelberg, a city founded in the 14th Century. It's a student hub and full of cafés, bars and restaurants. Of course, there is a castle as well. You can walk up there via some rather steep pathways, or you take the easy way out, using a funicular.

Within the castle, you can also see the largest wooden keg in the world, which was once actually used to store wine. It was built in 1751 and holds some 220.000 liters. Should do for a weekend with friends!

My human first thought, this is the big keg...

..., then she saw this one!

There is also a pharmacy museum, which has some interesting exhibits, including a travel pharmacy from 1640 and a form to make suppositories.



It's quite funny seeing this travel pharmacy from the 16th Century, compared to ours 


The funicular will bring you not only to the castle, but also to the top of a hill, called Königstuhl, King's throne. From there you have great views over the city with the river Neckar running through it. Apparently on clear days you can even see France, over 600km away. Not sure if I believe that, but it sounds good, anyways. 





If you are really keen, you can walk all the way up the hill as well, some 300 height meters. There are many trails and paths, some for hikers, some for mountain bikers. But the most direct route leads up the Himmelsleiter, the stairway to heaven. A succession of uneven, irregular stone steps leading through the forest. And my human want's to tell you this: if this stairway to heaven is any indication of the real thing, better not go! At least think about it! 

From the top of Königstuhl

On the other side of the Neckar, across a pretty old bridge, you can walk up the Schlangenweg, Snake way, to get to the Philosopenweg, the Philosopher's walkway. Like the stairway to heaven, this is only so much fun in 35 degrees, but with enough water to pour over your head, it's worth it for the views you get of the castle and the city.


Nice neighbourhood to walk around in with Schlangenweg und Philosophenweg



Quick word regarding the soccer match. I did hide, but I could leave the hideout after the Germans scored their second goal, and then two more. Obviously the crowd was in high spirits and it turned out to be a very pleasant evening. There was even live music! And so many people so close together, really weird to see. But it looked like fun. A shame I forgot my dancing shoes!





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These boots are made for walking...

A quick trip to Dresden and itˋs surroundings

Hello, we are back (on the road)!